Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Goodbye rumination

Have you ever found yourself unable to sleep or relax because unwanted thoughts and worries fill your mind?

The video 'Micro Lesson' below describes some techniques for displacing unwanted thoughts with different thoughts that are more productive or pleasant.  It requires fine tuning to find what works for you but provides the general framework to get you started.

I used to be good for three hours of rumination before I could fall asleep.  Now, I tell myself that repeated worrying is not productive and to save thinking about problems for a better time.  One of the things I fill my thoughts with is visualizing a favorite route for a bike ride.  It has actually been years since I rode my bike along that route, but as I remember it in great detail the worries fade away, replaced by nice memories.

https://scottadams.locals.com/upost/338260/a-micro-lesson-on-getting-rid-of-unwanted-thoughts

 


No comments:

Post a Comment